Saturday, August 26, 2006

 

SVN and CVS eclipse plugins.

Today I have used SVN for the first time and I got mixed feeling about SVN plugin for Eclipse.

Overwall it works ok , however there were couple of things that confused me.

A lot of people claim SVN to be faster, but I really did not feel it. To me it seemed to have no better performance than CVS.

Many times, when integrating other people changes to CVS, I just place updated file over existing and commit. When I tried to do that using eclipse SNV plugin, it marked file as deleted. I needed to open file and use cut-n-paste to replace its content. Seems a little weird to me and CVS is much straightforward in this.

SVN has file locking - this is a good thing, becuase many tims you need to lock a file while working on it and merge really complicate things, rather solves issues. Developers suppose to talk one with each other about changes, but it does not work at times.

My final conclusion that I will need to think if I really want to use SVN instead of CVS.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?